Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Reply to Comment

Interesting questions which I have tried to answer below - and thank you for the very kind comments;

Undoubtedly, greyer fathers are a social trend that is likely to grow as the UK population is ageing we are told. How valuable is experience in raising a child?
I think it is true that greyer fathers are a growing trend, both first time fathers and, like me, second time around. As for the experience I had first time round ... I guess that was pretty limited. In the 1980's you left it all to your partner, more or less. And I am ashamed to say I did just that. So for me this time around is about getting involved properly, hopefully with a bit more patience .... oh and I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have a daughter after two boys - just wonderful. I know I am going to get twisted round that little finger.

Will a child raised in an environment such as yours be better equiped for the world than a child raised by "green" parents?
I'm not sure. My older two have done very well - despite their parents seperating when they were in their teens. I looked after them during the week which was a good thing for me, it stopped any traits of workaholism that I fell into and made sure I learnt how to cook and clean and take a full interest in their growing up. Will Rosie be better equipped, well all I can say is that her father will be around more, not spending all the time at the office - so that should be an emotional help.

Are there things you wouldn't dream of doing now that perhaps you did in the past?
Taking things and people for granted. Everytime you miss a day of them growing up that day is gone forever. So I think I am the luckiest man alive to have another go and to try and put right all the mistakes. I know I'll make cock-ups but then that is life. One other mistake I wouldn't repeat is listening to all the people who know how to bring up children, except that is for Gina Ford, what a revelation!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home